There is something magnificent in the air. We hear it in the chords of the carolling and feel it with the coming of the December breeze. We see it in the dazzle of the lights that line our homes. Those same homes we’ll be savouring the flavours of the season in with the ones we love. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and the best part is, it’s time to get our halls smelling like it.
It only takes a whiff of your favourite festive fragrance to get you feeling the Christmas spirit instantly. So since the decor is already up and the jingle bell playlists are likely on blast, here are a few ways to infuse your home with the scents of the season:
- Get A Real Christmas Tree: Nothing says Christmas like the smell of fresh pine. Most evergreens will last up to four weeks if you mount them in water and keep them away from sunlight or anything that will cause them to dry out. This means your home will not only look festive throughout the month but will also smell divine too.
- Simmer Something: Creating a stove-top potpourri or making sorrel is a guaranteed way to transport your household into the holidays. The mixture of fragrances will give the effect of a homemade air freshener of which you just can’t get enough.
Try this easy potpourri recipe this holiday:
- Ten slices ginger
- One cinnamon stick
- One teaspoon vanilla
- Add 2-3 cups of water to a small saucepan and desired ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Do not let the water evaporate (you can add more if needed).
- Light Candles: The easiest way to set the mood for the holidays is to light a candle (or two). With scents such as roasted chestnut, peppermint or snowy winter garden, your home will be filled with rich aromas for hours.
- Burn Incense: Much like candles, incense is an inexpensive and hassle-free way to make the Christmas spirit come alive in your home. You can invoke the festive ambience with classic scents from frankincense to cinnamon and cloves.
- Start Baking: Fruitcakes, gingerbread cookies, puddings and all the treats that equally delight our tummies as they do our noses provide an aromatic blend of fruits and spices that will make you never want to leave your house!
Everyone knows how powerful scents can be, especially when it comes to our memory. Christmas fragrances easily trigger the nostalgia of some of our best holiday moments, and indeed there’s nothing quite like the joy of this season!
Is there a very special scent that you associate most with the holidays? Tell us below!